It is amazing to watch and listen to your children as they grow and learn. I am constantly surprised at the questions that seem to come out of nowhere, the words they pick up, and sometimes embarrassed to hear something I don't like, and realize they probably heard that from me. I love that you can actually see in their faces the moment that they figure something out. Like a toddler throwing a ball forward for the first time, or a kindergartener realizing that numbers go in patterns, and that they can count to a million if they want to.
I love listening in to my kids' conversations. If you listen to the way they talk, they sound like grow-ups, but if you listen to what they say sometimes it's just hilarious. :) The other day in the car Princess had a conversation with little Bear that went something like this:
Princess: At recess you can yell, and scream, and run, but you can't do that in class or you have to go to the principal's office, and that's not fun.
Bear: Why?
Princess: There's no suckers there or anything.
Bear: No treats?
Princess: No treats, and no toys. She just talks, and you talk, and you can't play at all. Not even with your hair. Not even with your "ctr" ring. If you brought a ctr ring.
At this point, her description was so vivid that I had to interrupt to ask if she had been to see the principal... she assures me she has not.
I also love trying to figure out what some of their words are supposed to be. Some of them are just cute, and expected, like "ambliance". Some take a little explaining, like... ug! Brain freeze, I can't think of an example! But, you probably know what I mean--'Mom, can I have a _____?' 'A what?' 'A _____!' 'Umm...' 'You know, it's purple, and it's round...' 'Oh, you mean a _____.' 'That's what I said.'
Sometimes when B. doesn't know a word for a thing, feeling, etc, he just throws some sounds together to make a completely new word--and then is annoyed when I don't know what he's talking about. My favorite mis-pronunciations are: "stepsitute"--as in, 'We had a stepsitute bus driver today'--and, "instressting"--as in, 'I didn't know that, that's instressting'--and "dagnagonal" as in, 'Don't cut it that way! I want my sandwich dagnagonal!' I hear "instressting" and "dagnagonal" often enough that when I say it right it sounds wrong to me!
Another cute moment happened at dinner last week. Princess turned to me and asked, "Is today old?" I thought for a moment, but couldn't come up with a good answer, so I asked her what she meant. "You know, like 'the good old days'". She wasn't sure why I thought this was funny, and wanted to know what the good old days are anyway. Hopefully when she grows up she'll look back on these days as good. :)
---------------------------------------------
Of course, what I say doesn't always make sense either. Today the kids were making triangles and diamonds with their fingers, and B. thought his triangle looked like a tent, but not our tent. They wanted to know what shape our tent was. I said, "Well, I can't remember if it has 6 sides, or 8... it's either a hexagon or an octagon... *blank, questioning sort-of faces* .... um, it's kind of like a circle-y square." Oh yes, that makes a lot of sense. Our tent is a circle-y square shape! ;)
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
1 comment:
She is so stinking cute!!!! Their conversations are too funny at times!
I got the conference packet from my v.t. companion. I'll ask her where she got it. It is awesome. It kept Paige entertained for about 45 minutes. Parker on the other hand, maybe 10 max, but it still is fabulous and a great resource for more to come!
I'm going to check out those slippers at BB&B. There actually is one in State College! Wow, they think of everything, huh?
Post a Comment