Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tough enough?

Sunday I wanted to make "$10,000 Chicken" (Recipe at bottom, if you're interested) for dinner. Jason was out of town, and I could not open the bottle of sauerkraut. (This is the only thing I cook with sauerkraut in it, by the way.) So, I told my kids I would be right back, and walked next door. Brother L. was not home, but Sister L. gave it her best shot. No luck. Next house. No one home. Cross the street---the garage is open, and both cars are there, but no one answers the door... well, they don't have kids, maybe they are taking a nap. Moving on... not home either. Hey! Two 10-12ish year old boys out for a ride--nope, they can't make it budge either! Maybe I should just make something else!! So, one more house, one more try. Someone is outside!!
"You look like Jeremy, are you his brother? Do you think you could open this for me?" Well, he couldn't. Jeremy couldn't. BUT, finally, the first guy's wife did it!! Wahoo! Who knew it could take 15 minutes and 7 people to open a bottle of sauerkraut? :)
---------------------------------------------------------------
$10,000 Chicken
The story my parents passed on to me was that a man entered a cooking contest as a joke. He threw some ingredients together, and when he won the $10,000 prize they asked him what he called it and he replied, "Umm... $10,000 Chicken!"

In the bottom of a 9x13 pan make a layer of chicken tenders, or cut up boneless skinnless breasts (You can leave the breasts whole, but it's easier to serve if you chop them up)

Next, put a layer of well-drained sauerkraut on top of the chicken. (My mom usually squeezes it with a paper towel to make sure it's really dry--I usually leave it just slightly more moist.)

Next comes a layer of thickly sliced swiss cheese. (My slices are about 1/4" thick, and it takes about a pound and a half. I use the left over half pound for chicken cordon bleu soup, yum!)

Finally, sqeeze almost all of a 24 oz bottle of Thousand Island Dressing on top, and cook at 325 for 90 minutes.

Serve over rice. (Broccoli is a really nice complement to it.)

[It sounds weird, but I really like it. If you're worried about making a whole big pan to try it, you can do a smaller version, or let me know, and I'll invite you over next time I make it.]

3 comments:

The Herd Mom said...

Yum. To all the readers: $10,000 Chicken sounds weird, but it's great.

By the way, I'm not sure it would have helped in this circumstance, but I learned a trick a while back for opening stubborn jars. Just put a thick-ish rubber band around the lid for some grippage. It works!

adamandnikki said...

Hey its Nikki from sizzler how come there are no pics of the kids but anyway I miss you guys haven't seen ya forever and Im going up to the Orem sizz so I really won't see ya but keep in touch k see ya

Queen Mommy said...

We'll sure miss you Nikki... but I go up to Orem with my mom and aunts sometimes, so maybe I'll see you.

And, I'll put some pics up soon. :)